So apparently the key to overcoming jet lag is to book your flight next to a whirlwind of activity; take on an abnormal amount of work with loads of self imposed deadlines, disrupt your regularly scheduled sleeping pattern by staying up really late, have multiple goodby parties. I've been so exhausted the past two weeks that I've had no jet lag whatsoever. It's been nice.
However, I have had one problem. I can't seem to wake up on time. Since summer 2007 I've not used an alarm clock (except when traveling). I just get up with the sun. This is not some matter of discipline for me - I find that I just can't sleep in anymore. I have an uncanny ability to guess the exact time I wake up, even before I look at my cell phone. I'm usually within 5-7 minutes about 8 out of 10 days; two or three of those days I get it exactly right.
But it turns out it's not so much about light as it is Street noise. If it's idle chatter, it's just the old people waiting in line for the "Traditional" Medical doctor 6-7 AM. If I hear the bells from tricycle bikes, it's 7 - 7:30. Taxi and Buses add to the crescendo from 7:30 - 8:00, by 8:00 you have the full blown roar of rush hour. But in Martinsville, I don't have any of these clues. So I have no idea what time is is when I get up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tend to be overly nostalgic, moralistic, and religious. I don't read many things online that are life changing, but this article has been challenging and very helpful to think more deeply about the character of God, the gospel, sin, confession, and true repentance.
http://download.redeemer.com/pdf/learn/resources/All_of_Life_Is_Repentance-Keller.pdf
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment