Finally got my hands on some Deitrick Bonhoffer. A friend gave me two of his books. I'm starting out with "Life Together". I knew that I was going to be a fan of this book when in the introduction, it includes a story of Bonhoffer quoting Luther at a confrence saying, "The curse of godless man can sound more pleasant in God's ear than the Hallelujah of the pious."
The first quote I've been mulling over is about the importance of God's word in Christian community.
"He know that God's Word in Jesus Christ promounces him guilty, even when he does not feel his guilt, and God's Word in Jesus Christ pronounces him not guilty and righteous, even when he does not feel that he is righteous at all.... He lives wholly by God's WOrd pronounced upon him, whether that Word declares him guilty or innocent."
The second quote I like is, "God hates visionary dreaming; it makes the dreamer proud and pretentious." Bonhoffer explains that frequently these leaders "enter the community of Christians with his demands, sets up his own law and judges the brethern and God Himself accordingly." I've seen lots of visionary leaders. By God's grace, I've met some exceptions to this rule, but the majority of the time I've felt frustrated and confused at times how often churches and other movements accomidate and even encourage these leaders in their midst.
Finally the last quote, "A marriage, family, a friendship is quite consicous of the limitations of tis community-building power; such as relationship know very well, if they are sound, where the human element stops and the spiritual begins. ... when physical and family relationship or ordinary association, that is, those arising from everyday life with all its claims upon people who are working together are not projected into the spiritual community, then we must be especially careful." This has been good for me to think about while at home. Makes me thankful for the fellowship I enjoy in my family.
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
bonhoeffer is gangsta. you can quote me on that.
Post a Comment