For older-than-average Christian bachelors, you sometimes hear the joke that when so-and-so get's married it's going to be the end of the world. This of course feeds into the nagging & illogical question, "What if Jesus did come back, right before my wedding?"
I was happy to learn that I no longer need to worry about this. Apparently the first day of judgement will happen the day after my honeymoon is over.
http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/
On a more serious note, I had a great bachelor's party the other night. All who came were married so there was no need for guys to be cautious as they shared advice about sex, conflict resolution, how women think, power struggles, household chores, etc. Everyone gave one bit of advice on something that I should be sure to do and something I should never do. After each bit, the other men then gave a thumbs up, thumbs down or a sideways, judging if the comment would actually "work" in their home or not. About 1/2 way through the night, the attention moved off of me and guys just started listening to each other. Despight the sterotype that men are insensitive and out of touch, it dawned on me, that men really do like talking about marriage. These guys could have talked about marriage all night.
I wish that there had been a way to record the conversation or take notes that would not have hindered the conversation. It was such great advice; it left several impressions on my mind. First of all, I think the women that married to these men are exceptionally blessed with great husbands, these men LOVE their wives. And likewise, these men are blessed to be in working relationship with women who really go out of their way to communicate RESPECT to their husbands. Secondly, I think everyone left with the feeling - we should do this again. But the hard part is, guys can't just get together and talk. For whatever reason, there has to be a real reason for us to get together. There's no way to manufacter it. I also learned that, "Your time is no longer your own." I no longer get to do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it.
But the most important thought that I am left holding onto is how each one of these guys, while honest about the challenges of marriage, all believe "It's worth it"; that life is better with a partner. Clearly, *marriage is not for wimps, but at the same time marriage IS fun; those things are not mutually exclusive. I can't wait to learn all about Annette next year. She is the best partner, the most gracious friend that I could have on this journey with me.
* for Dave and Missy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm so blessed to hear of your friendships with these amazing, godly men! It is evident that God has used these relationships to help you become the man you are today, and I am incredibly fortunate to be your life partner. I love you!!!
Good Post John,... er, Rooddog. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall of that conversation.
When is the big day?
Dan-o
Good Post John,... er, Rooddog. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall of that conversation.
When is the big day?
Dan-o
Good stuff Dog....
Can't wait to see you in a couple of days!
- DL
Post a Comment